Locker, Bag, Body and School Premises
- Search of Locker, Bag, School Premises and Seizures
- Locker searches should be routinely conducted by the school staff.
- Searchers should be scheduled and unscheduled.
- Locker and bag searches must be conducted by at least two staff members in the presence of the learner whose bag or locker is searched.
- A learner whose locker or bag is to be searched must be informed of this intended action by the person who will conduct the search.
- It is the duty of the learner to open/unlock his/her locker or bag and take out the contents.
- Any prohibitive substance, object, weapon or electronic device found on a learner must be made in the Misdemeanour Book and Log Book. A report must be forwarded promptly to the Head of Department of Education. The Parent/Guardian must be notified.
- Routine searches must also be conducted of washrooms, classrooms, laboratories, and school grounds.
Body/Strip Search and Seizure
- A body search of a learner must be conducted only by a law enforcement officer.
- The Head Teacher is the channel through which the request for the law enforcement officer must be made.
- The parent/guardian of a learner who is to be body searched must be notified. The parent/guardian must also be informed of the findings of the search.
- A body search can be requested if the school believes or has reasonable suspicion that a learner has concealed on his person any prohibitive substance, object, weapon or electronic device which he/she has refused to hand over on request.
- Prohibitive substances, objects, weapon or electronic devices must be seized.
- The law enforcement officer wither gives instructions as to what should be done with the prohibitive article or he/she takes command of it.
- The proper entry should be made in the Misdemeanours Book and Log Book. A report must be promptly made to the Head of Department of Education.