Consultant Services-Development of Training Courses and the Training of Trainers for Improved Instruction and Learning at Nursery and Primary Grade 1.
Guyana Early Childhood Education Project
Grant No. TF019053.
Project ID No. GECEP/IC/01/2015
Expressions of Interest
The Government of Guyana and the Global Partnership for Education, in collaboration with the World Bank, have agreed to support the Guyana Early Childhood Education Project (GECEP). This project will focus on improving emergent literacy and numeracy outcomes at the nursery level and primary Grade 1 in hinterland regions and targeted remote riverine areas. The total cost of the project is US$1.7 million. A portion of this amount is earmarked for:
Development of Training Courses and the Training of Trainers for Improved Instruction and Learning at Nursery and Primary Grade 1
1. Objective and Scope of Work of the Consultancy
The consultant will be responsible for leading the design and development of modules and materials in close collaboration with the Assistant CEOs for Nursery Education and Primary Education, and with NCERD’s ECE specialist that will strengthen teachers’ content knowledge and pedagogy, particularly for the implementation of new strategies to improve emergent literacy and numeracy skills.
The selected candidate will be expected to undertake the following:
- Analyze results of the Nursery Diagnostic Assessment 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- Visit a range of nursery and Grade 1 classes, in order to have a clear view of the reality of nursery and Grade 1 classrooms.
- Conduct a series of structured consultations with key MOE and NCERD personnel.
- Draft training courses that will focus on teachers’ ability to develop children’s numeracy and literacy skills through potentially changing teachers’ classroom practices and behavior to improve student learning results.For each of the three years of project implementation, new courses will be designed, developed and administered.
- Assist in the Training of Trainers program. Trainers will be drawn from NCERD, CPCE, Nursery Field Officers and other experienced ECD instructors.
The successful candidate would have high academic qualifications and extensive experience in the design and delivery of teacher training workshops in the area of early childhood development, particularly focused on development of literacy and numeracy skills.
- Specifically, the consultant should possess a post-graduate degree (minimum Masters, preferably Ph.D.) in a relevant discipline (e.g. early childhood education, psycho-social child development, instructional design, etc.) and specific graduate-level academic training in instruction of literacy and numeracy.
- The consultant should be able to provide evidence of at least 5 years of practical experience in designing and delivering teacher training workshops in the area of early childhood education.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in teaching literacy and numeracy skills in an activity-based manner, through submission of a portfolio of previously prepared lesson plans and training materials would also be required.
- Willing and able to travel to remote Hinterland regions and Riverine areas.
- Strong English-language (written and spoken) and communication skills (presentational skills, listening skills, etc.), along with basic mastery of productivity software are a must; as well as demonstrated ability to work productively in teams.
- Familiarity with Caribbean early childhood education systems would be a plus, but is not absolutely necessary.
- At least three people who can be contacted by the Guyanese MOE as references should be submitted along with the candidate’s curriculum vitae.
The Ministry of Education now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV’s, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, clients’ references, etc.).
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures for Selection of Individual Consultants set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by Bank Borrowers, January 2011 .
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address (1) below during office hours 09:00 to 16:30 hours-Monday to Friday. For detailed Terms of Reference (TORs) please check the website: http://education.gov.gy/web/index.php/careers-consultancies .
Expressions of interest, together with CV’s and other documents, may be sent by mail, e-mail, or fax and must be delivered to the address (2) below by Thursday September 17, 2015 at 9:00 hrs Guyana time.
Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked Consultancy for the Development of Training Courses and Training of Trainers for Improved Instruction and Learning at Nursery and Primary Grade 1)-Guyana Early Childhood Education Project on the envelope.
Office of Guyana Early Childhood Education Project
Attn: Dr. Nandram Persaud, Procurement Specialist
109 Barima Avenue, Bel Air Park, Georgetown, Guyana
Tel: (592) 225-1108
Fax: (592) 226-0506
Tender Box, Ministry of Education,
26 Brickdam, Georgetown, Guyana.
Ms. Delma Nedd
Ministry of Education