The work at the Examinations Division relates directly to the work of other agencies in the Ministry of Education namely, primary schools, secondary schools, technical and vocational schools, the Curriculum Development Unit, the Measurement, Evaluation and Research Unit, the Education Planning Unit, Departments of Education, the Inspectorate Unit and the National Centre for Education Resource Development.
The Superintendent of Examinations has a reporting relationship with the Permanent Secretary, as well as a functional relationship with Senior Education Officials within the Ministry of Education, Regional Education Officers, School Heads and Registrars of Overseas Examination Boards. The Superintendent serves as the Local Registrar for the Caribbean Examinations Council, and the Overseas Authority for University of London Examinations.
The objectives of the Division are:
- To efficiently administer all public examinations controlled by the Ministry of Education
- To maintain an acceptable standard in the administration of examinations conducted by the Ministry of Education.
- To promote public confidence in all public examinations.
- To maintain strict confidentiality and integrity in all examination arrangements.
- To provide information about examination requirements for the public.
- To serve the public in the preparation of certified statements of examination performance for employers and institutions of higher/ further education.
At the primary level, the examinations conducted are:
National Grade Two Assessment (NGTA)
National Grade Four Assessment (NGFA)
National Grade Six Assessment (NGSA)
At the secondary level, the examinations conducted are:
National Grade Nine Assessment (NGNA)
Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC)
Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE)
At the post-secondary level, the examinations conducted are:
Guyana Technical Education Examination (GTEE)
Association of Charted Certified Accountants (ACCA)
Association of Business Executives (ABE)
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
University of London
Other examinations conducted are:
Education Management Certificate Course
Non-Graduate Certificate Course for Secondary Teachers
Name: Superintendent of Examinations
Ministry of Education
Queen's College Compound
Camp & Thomas Roads
Tel #: 592-226-1237 /1094